Thursday, August 30, 2012

Phantosmia

Phantosmia -- phantom smells.

I'm smelling cigarette smoke all the time.  At first I thought it was Lisa at the office, who smokes, and I just thought I was extra sensitive to the smell (since Mom smoked). 

Then I started smelling it at home, and so I thought, "Mom's come to visit from way up yonder!"  Even made a joke about it a few times at the dinner table because I'd smell smoke.

I smelled it at Aunt Peggy's and joked that Mom was jealous and just had to tag along on my trip up there.  I began smelling cigarette smoke everywhere, and more often.

Monday night, as I sat on my couch that seemed more like a smokey dive bar, I Googled "smelling things that aren't there".  Up pops "Phantosmia" and all the very scary things that go along with it.

Brain tumors; schizophrenia; alzheimers....all of the websites and blogs encourage anyone experiencing these phantom smells to see a neurologist immediately.

Great.

When I called to get an appointment with the neurologist, the scheduler said they couldn't get me in until late September...until I said I was smelling things...."oh, here's an appointment for Thursday!"

So, today I saw a neurologist who promptly ordered an MRI, an EEG and tons of blood work.  Oh, and he did some really strange baseline tests on me; finger to nose, reflexes, looked into my eyes with his little light thingy.  He got stuck on my left eye.   Looked at it for a while.

Tuesday is the EEG.  The following Tuesday is the MRI.  Had the blood work done before I left the building.

Temporary diagnosis:  partial epilepsy.

Wow.












No comments:

Post a Comment

The "fam"

The "fam"
Rio Grande Gorge Bridge

About Me

My photo
Gainesville, FL, United States

Enchanting New Mexico

Enchanting New Mexico

The Colorado Rockies

The Colorado Rockies
Heading to Taos Ski Valley